Friday, February 18, 2011

Quotes

I love quotes! I think that it's a great way to put feelings into words that make sense. The other day I was feeling kind of lost in this whole parenting thing, and so I searched for some quotes that kind of stated how I felt. The quotes below aren't neccessary what I was looking for, but I was intrigued by their truthfullness.


We worry about what a child will be tomorrow, yet we forgot that he is someone today.-Stacia Tauscher

This quote just kind of spoke to me. I think that parents are often so worried about creating successful adults, that we forget that they are are just children. We forget that in order for them to become those successful adults we must feed their creative and playful hearts. I often focus to much on what new things my children are learning, that I forget sometimes they just need to wrestle, cuddle, or mindlessly paint with me not asking them, "what color is this?", "how many are there?" Etc. Obviously, I want to create great learning opportunties, but sometimes they just want to play. They just want to be kids and have fun.

The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children.-Duke of Windsor

This quote made me think a little.

First of all, I don't like the word "obey". My children are not dogs, and I do not expect them to "obey" me. I expect them to listen, respect, and learn from me. With that being said, I do listen to my children. How can we teach them to listen, if we don't listen to them? How can we expect them to respect people around them, if we don't respect them? My children have taught me so much about life. I am perfectly fine saying, that at times I have obeyed (listened to and respected) my children.

"When I was a child, my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. If you become a monk you'll end up as the pope.' Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso."
-- Pablo Picasso


I LOVE this quote!! I think it might be one of my favorites. To me it just means, that whatever our children decide to be, we should encourage them to be the best. And I don't mean the best in a competitive way. We should encourage them to do things 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment